Social Media in a Nutshell... In Six Nutshells.
I began "socialmediaing" October 2012. Before this I was the guy who checked his facebook once a month, had no idea what a blog was and thought tweeting was something birds did to wake me up in the morning. I know the task may seem daunting at first but with a few simple tips you can get on the social media wagon and start making connections and gain attention whether you're a author, business owner, juggler, yoga instructor, chiropractor, or just want to get aboard and connect with people around the world.
1) Don't get overwhelmed with all the different types of social media applications available. I would
suggest starting off with just two or three. The ones that have been the most helpful to myself are
twitter, facebook page and blogging.
2) The above three applications are all free and all have great apps you can download and use from
your phone as well as your computer. People want content, twitter provides this in short 140
characters or less posts. A facebook page offers info about yourself separate from your facebook
profile and blogging is geared for longer posts about whatever message you want to get across.
3) Start off slow don't pressure yourself to be a social media wiz in a day. I'd recommend blogging
once or twice a week, tweeting at least once a day and checking your facebook page once a day.
This may sound like a lot but tweeting takes only a few minutes as well as checking your
facebook page and blogging shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
4) A great trick I've picked up is to link all three of these applications. This means that if you blog
something it will also appear on your twitter account and if you tweet something it will
automatically post to your facebook page, saving you valuable time.
5) Remember to have fun! You're going to meet a ton of great people along the way. many of which
share your same interests.
6) Be persistent. This isn't a race and you won't have thousands of followers over night but if you
stay the course you will see the results you want, I'm a living testament to this.